Caramel and chocolate are two of my favorite dessert flavor combos. Recently, I’ve been craving something salty and sweet with a bit of crunch. I had some leftover salted caramel from my Baked Caramel Pecan French Toast that I’ve been wanting to use so I thought chocolate pretzel Blondie brownies with caramel batter would be perfect. I’m a big fan of chocolate brownies but sometimes they can be too rich and overwhelming especially if there are a lot of mix-ins. I thought Blondie brownies would be great for this recipe because they’re almost like a big chewy sugar cookie.
These chocolate pretzel Blondie brownies are super quick and easy to make. I knew I wanted some mix of peanut butter and chocolate but wasn’t sure how. I came across a bag of mixed peanut butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips which turned out to be perfect! Easier than dealing with peanut butter and the flavor still definitely comes through. I added a bit of caramel into the batter for sweetness which smelled amazing when it was baking. I was a little scared to put pretzels on top because I thought they would burn for some odd reason but they turned out tasty! They were a little soft and soaked in all the flavors of the caramel so good!
My trick to the extra pop of caramel flavor comes in during the last few minutes of baking. When the blondes are almost finished, I turn off the oven and give them a good drizzle of caramel. I let it sit in the warm oven for about 10 minutes and it left a nice fresh glaze on the pretzels but also a topped fresh layer on the entire brownie which was delish! I melted down some leftover chocolate and peanut butter chips for a quick drizzle on the brownies and these were good to go.
These chocolate pretzel Blondie brownies are perfect for a night at home or a sweet treat for friends. The mix of salty pretzels, sweet caramel, and smooth peanut butter chocolate will definitely leave you reaching for more.
Chocolate Pretzel Blondie Brownies
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter , softened
- 1.5 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ¼ cup caramel + more for drizzle
- 1 cup pretzels
- 2 cup mix of chocolate and peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- In large bowl, cream butter, and brown sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla, set aside
- In bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients to wet ingredients until fully combined
- Add in caramel and chocolate chips
- Place mixture in 9×13 baking dish and top with pretzels
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
- If brownie begins getting too dark before fully cooked, cover with foil
- Turn off oven and drizzle brownie with additional caramel and let sit for 5-10 minutes
- Optional: Drizzle with additional chocolate and/or caramel if desired