Get ready to fall in love. If you’ve never tried cauliflower mac and cheese you are definitely missing out. It’s rich, creamy and the perfect indulgent comfort food. If you’re not sure about the cauliflower, trust me, it’s life changing! Traditional mac and cheese is a favorite in our home but with a swap this genius we don’t even miss the pasta.
Cauliflower was never a favorite of mine until recently. I think it’s easy to dismiss foods you don’t think you like because you haven’t eaten them in a long time or never had them in a form you enjoy. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with cauliflower and trying to find a recipe I like since so many people seem to love it. Putting cheese on anything will usually do the trick and this is definitely one of those times.
The most important thing in this recipe is to wring out the cauliflower as much as possible. If you leave too much water in, it’s gonna taste soggy and no one likes mushy mac and cheese. I’ve found that the more dry you can get the cauliflower the less it tastes like, well cauliflower.
Other than that, it’s very simple. You don’t even have to make a roux with flour for this cauliflower mac and cheese. It’s similar to making creamed spinach, just cheese, cheese and more cheese! I used a mixture of cheddar, cream cheese and muenster for this dish. I typically just use cheddar and cream cheese but I found the muenster gave it a bit more depth and creaminess.
To fill the dish out more as a meal I added sliced jalapeno sausage and spinach. It’s super rich so a big side salad is a great addition to this meal. It’s definitely a comfort food with a twist for me that I can’t wait to make for my family again.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Gluten free cauliflower mac and cheese
- 1 pound frozen cauliflower
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup muenster cheese, cubed
- 1½ cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 sausage links, sliced and browned
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Steam or boil cauliflower until crisp-tender, drain
- Remove excess water by squeezing cauliflower in towel or patting out moisture, set aside
- In saucepan over medium heat add olive oil and saute onions until softened
- Add heavy cream to pan, lower heat and bring to simmer
- Break cream cheese into small pieces and add to pan stirring quickly
- Add fresh spinach, sausage, mustard and fresh garlic, pepper, and salt to saucepan
- Once all cream cheese is smooth, remove pan from heat
- Combine cream mixture with muenster cheese and 1 cup cheddar
- Stir quickly with spatula until smooth and add cauliflower
- Place into 8×8 baking dish and top with remaining ½ cup cheddar
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until boiling and cheese is brown